OnePlus, the Chinese smartphone company launched the OnePlus 3T as the successor to the OnePlus 3. The device isn’t just known for its great performance, but it also beats a lot of known smartphones with the dash charging. Although, the company has tried to make the device in such a way that one won’t root or tweak the device for performance.
There are android geeks who still have the habit of rooting their android device on the very first day of purchase. It’s not because the smartphone isn’t having good performance, but, it is because they want to unlock the full potential of the device.
How to Install TWRP recovery on OnePlus 3T
You can unlock the full potential of the smartphone by unlocking the bootloader and installing a custom recovery on it. This will allow you to flash new ROMs on your OnePlus 3T, you can install different mods and more importantly, you can root your OnePlus 3T. In this tutorial, I will guide you with steps to unlock bootloader and install the most famous TWRP recovery on your OnePlus 3T. Before doing anything, you will need to download some stuff beforehand.
Downloads & Requirements
These are the things you need before you do anything to unlock the bootloader and install TWRP on your OnePlus 3T.
How to Unlock the Bootloader of OnePlus 3T
Unlocking the bootloader of a OnePlus 3T is just a matter of a few commands. But keep in mind that you will lose all your data in the process. Your phone will reset and all the data on the storage of your OnePlus 3T will be wiped. It is suggested that you take a backup of everything on your OnePlus 3T.
Taking a backup is better than regretting it later.
Now that you have everything setup, just go ahead and enable Developer Settings on your OnePlus 3T.
How to Enable Developer Mode on OnePlus 3T
- Go to Settings > About > Build Number
- Tap the Build number for 7 times. (This will enable the developer settings)
- Once enabled, again Go to Settings > Developer Settings (above About Device)
- Now go into Developer Settings and enable two things here.
- Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking.
This will allow you to unlock the bootloader of your phone and use ADB.
Steps to Unlock the Bootloader
- Connect your OnePlus 3T to your PC and then open the folder where you downloaded the ADB Platform tools.
- Now just hold the SHIFT key on your keyboard and then click the right-click button on your mouse.
- Choose the ‘Open Command Window Here’ option and this will start the command prompt in this window.
- Now type the below command and allow the USB Debugging prompt on your phone.
- The Command Window will show the connected device in the prompt.
- Now type the below command and your device will reboot to bootloader mode.
adb reboot bootloader
- Type below command to check whether your PC and fastboot are detecting your device or not.
- You can unlock the bootloader with a simple command now.
- Just enter the below command and the bootloader will be unlocked in no time.
fastboot oem unlock
Don’t reboot your phone as we are yet to flash the TWRP recovery.
This is all you need to do to unlock the bootloader of your OnePlus 3T. Let us move on to the process of installing TWRP on your OnePlus 3T.
Flashing TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 3T
Make sure you have downloaded the TWRP image for OnePlus 3T. Just rename the twrp-3.0.3-1-oneplus3t.img to recovery.img and then follow the steps below.
- Paste the recovery.img to the ADB platform tools folder that you downloaded.
- As your phone is still in Fastboot mode, just enter the below command
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- To reboot into TWRP recovery, just enter
fastboot reboot recovery
- You will notice that TWRP has now been flashed on your OnePlus 3T, In case the recovery doesn’t get installed, then you shall repeat the process again and reboot the device using keys rather than using fastboot command to reboot into recovery.
All this process will hardly take 15-20 minutes to complete and this is the easiest way to get this done. You can use TWRP to take a backup of your OnePlus 3T or to flash ROMs and mods. This was a small tutorial where we showed you how to unlock the bootloader of your OnePlus 3T and install TWRP on it. You can use the comments section below if you have any doubts.
Installed the recovery? What to do next? Root your OnePlus 3T now!