TWRP recovery is one of the most famous custom recoveries. It comes with additional features which work perfectly unlike other custom recoveries. That’s the reason why a lot of people prefer using it over other recoveries. Do you want to install it on your OnePlus 5? In this guide, I’ll be explaining you with steps to install TWRP recovery on your OnePlus 5.
How to Install TWRP recovery on OnePlus 5?
Flashing/Installing the TWRP recovery isn’t hard, but if there is any mistake while following the steps, there are chances that you might end up bricking up your device. Installing a custom recovery such as TWRP requires you to unlock the bootloader which may erase the entire storage partition, that’s why recommend you to take a backup. So let’s begin with the guide.
- OnePlus 5 (Charge above 80 percentage recommended.)
- Unlocked Bootloader (Unlock the Bootloader of OnePlus 5)
- ADB and Fastboot drivers (You don’t have to install them again if you installed them during unlocking bootloader process.)
- USB Type-C cable. (Official recommended)
- Download TWRP Recovery for OnePlus 5 (Make sure you download the IMG file)
Steps to Flash the TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 5
- Store the TWRP recovery in a folder which you can easily access (We recommend you to create a folder on the Desktop.)
- Rename the TWRP recovery to recovery.img
- Open the folder, Press Shift + Right-click on Mouse and click on “Open Command Window here.”
- Type the below command.
- If your device shows up then the ADB is working and you can proceed to the next step. However, if it doesn’t work, you’ll need to re-install ADB and Fastboot.
- If it works, enter the below command to boot your device into fastboot mode.
adb reboot bootloader
- Once you are into the fastboot mode, you’ll see a screen on which fastboot mode will be written. Enter the below command to check if the fastboot connection is working.
- The above command will return a device if the fastboot has been set up properly. However, if it doesn’t return any device you can comment below and we’ll get in touch. If it returns, proceed to the next step.
- Now enter the below command to flash the TWRP recovery on your device
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- Restart your device by entering the below command in your command prompt.
- Now enter the below command to boot your device into the TWRP recovery or alternatively, you can turn off your device and press the volume up + power button to boot into recovery mode.
adb reboot recovery
- That’s it, you’ve successfully flashed the TWRP recovery on your OnePlus 5.
The guide has been tested multiple times on the OnePlus 5 and it works on all the variants of the OnePlus 5. However, if you get stuck while performing the steps, you shall contact us by commenting below and we will try to solve your issue. Most of them install a custom recovery to root their OnePlus 5. Why have you flashed the TWRP recovery? Do you own another OnePlus device? Follow the below guides