Installing TWRP recovery on a Sony smartphone isn’t a tough task. However, if the steps aren’t followed properly you might end up hard bricking or soft bricking your Sony device. Every Android phone comes with a recovery pre-installed, but the stock recovery performs very limited tasks, that’s why people prefer installing a custom recovery such as TWRP recovery.
There are many custom recoveries but TeamWin Recovery Project (TWRP) is currently one of the most popular & used tools used for rooting. The touch-based UI makes it different from all the other tools present in the market. It was initially developed for Nexus devices but later, it was made available for all the devices. You can now install TWRP recovery on any Android device (which has an unlocked bootloader.)
How to Flash TWRP Recovery on Sony Phones?
Another good thing about TWRP, it helps in flashing a lot of scripts. You can also root your Android phone using TWRP recovery. If you wish to install custom ROMs (Not all, only some custom ROMs require root access) and custom Kernel on your Sony device. So let’s begin with the step by step guide. However, I’d recommend you to follow the steps properly.
Pre-requirements before installing TWRP:
- Unlock the Bootloader of your Sony device.
- Take the complete backup of your Sony device.
- Make sure your device is at least 80% charged.
- Enable USB debugging. To enable it,
- Go to Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging & tap to enable it.
- You will need Developer access for this.
- Go to Settings > About Phone > Build Number & tap 5-7 times on Build Number.
- PC with Internet Connection, USB Cable (preferably original) & your Sony Device.
Install TWRP Recovery on Sony Devices
Step 1: Installing ADB & Fastboot Drivers on your PC
Here is the fastest & simplest way to download & install ADB & Fastboot. This is made possible due to by XDA member Snoop5
- Click here to download 15 seconds ADB Installer. Install the file.
- Once the installation is complete, you will see a Blue Background command prompt.
- Type Y to agree to all the prompts.
- The best part about this 15 seconds’ installer is that it will also download USB drivers which are needed to connect your Sony device to PC.
Step 2: Installing TWRP on your Sony Device
Follow these steps to install TWRP.
- Download TWRP Recovery File for your device on your PC. (.img file)
- Rename the TWRP recovery to twrp.img
- Open the folder where this file is downloaded.
- Hold Shift and press Right-click on any empty space inside that folder & select the option, ‘Open Command Windows Here’. This will open Command Prompt.
- Now, connect your Sony device to PC via USB Cable. In the command prompt, type the below command to boot your device into fastboot mode.
adb reboot bootloader
In case the command doesn’t reboot your device into the bootloader or fastboot mode. You’ll have to re-install the ADB and Device drivers.
- Once your Sony device is in the bootloader mode type the below command to flash the TWRP recovery to your Sony device.
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- Now, just type the below command to reboot your Sony device.
This was the two-step guide to install TWRP on your Sony Device. Now, you are good to go about rooting process. We again suggest you take the complete backup of your device as this process may wipe the entire content from your phone. Also, it is recommended to take the risk on your own as this process may void the warranty of the device.