OnePlus, the Chinese smartphone company recently launched the OnePlus 5. One thing a lot of Android geeks love about OnePlus is, the warranty of a OnePlus device does not get void even after unlocking the bootloader or rooting the device. Rooting a device would open up doors of system level customization on your Android device. A lot of people are looking forward to rooting their OnePlus 5, that’s why here’s a guide which will help you to root your OnePlus 5.
Steps to Root your OnePlus 5
Rooting the device isn’t tough, However, if the steps aren’t followed properly you might end up bricking (hard brick too) the device if not properly followed.
We would like to inform you that this guide has been tested in Android Tutorial labs and we are affirmative on its working. However, in case of any damages, Neither the author, nor the website will be responsible. By following the guide, you agree to the condition that, you’ll be held responsible, if things go wrong.
There are three basic steps which are to be followed to root the device. The same is with the OnePlus 5 as well, the steps are
- Unlocking the Bootloader.
- Installing a Custom recovery.
- Flashing SuperSU (or another root manager, we recommend SuperSU though)
This whole rooting procedure may take about an hour so we recommend you to do it with enough time in hand. You also would need to use a computer to install the flash setup onto your device. Also, backup the data on your device if it is important to you. In case steps are not followed, you might end up spending more than the mentioned time, so please proceed only if you have time.
Have the OnePlus 3T: Root it now
Downloads and Requirements
- Computer System
- ADB and Fastboot (Follow ADB and Fastboot installation guide)
- OnePlus 5 (Charge above 80% recommended)
- USB Type-C cable (Original recommended)
Unlocking the Bootloader of OnePlus 5
The bootloader is a component which is responsible to boot up the device with the OS. While rooting a device you need to unlock the bootloader which was initially locked by the mobile brand. This would provide access to the internal memory of the device to be written with another OS.
- To start with,
- Open the Settings > About Phone.
- Navigate and find Build number and tap on it for 7 times.
- Doing that will unlock the Developer Mode.
- This step can be skipped if you already have access to the developer mode.
- Go to the Developer Mode and turn on the OEM Unlocking. You may get a warning message stating that the ‘device protection feature would not work’, continue with the Enable option.
- Turn on the Advanced Boot option which allows you Reboot the device in normal, recovery and fastboot/bootloader mode.
- Turn on the USB Debugging from the developer menu as well as you need to connect the device to a computer to root the device with the new setup files.
- Connect your device to the computer and open the command prompt directly by holding Shift Key + Right Click from the folder where you have ADB and Fastboot.
- You need to reboot the device into bootloader mode, by long press of the power button and selecting the Bootloader from the Restart option. Alternatively if you OnePlus 5 is turned off, then you can press Power button + Volume down button and release the power button once the device is turned on.
- From the Command Prompt window type the below command and hit enter.
If your device shows up in response to the above command, you’ll need to type the below command to boot your device into fastboot mode.
adb reboot bootloader
- After booting into fastboot mode, we suggest you, to check if there is no problem with the connection by typing the below command.
- If your device shows up in the command prompt. You can unlock the bootloader by typing the below command. Note: This command will wipe all the data present on your phone.
fastboot oem unlock
- The command prompt and you would get a notification on your OnePlus 5 to confirm the YES, Unlock Bootloader (may void warranty, in actual it won’t void). Use the Volume buttons to navigate between the options and press the Power button to select YES.
- You may get a secure boot warning ignore the message and the phone would unlock the bootloader and wipe the data from your device. If the bootloader asks you for the unlock permission, accept the option and proceed.
Now the device would turn on after unlocking the bootloader, allowing you to install with a custom recovery. Once the device boots up you need to enter, through the welcome screen, select the SIM setup, add fingerprint/pattern and complete the other initial setup. In case you are still not able to unlock the bootloader of your OnePlus 5, unlock it from here.
Flashing TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 5.
A custom recovery allows you to install 3rd party firmware and backup of the device. One such popular recovery used by most of the Android user is TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project). This recovery supports OnePlus 5 and provides a touchscreen-enabled interface with a third party and backup support on the current system. In order to install the TWRP recovery, you need to proceed with the similar steps as followed on the previous menu.
- Download the TWRP .img file for your OnePlus 5.
- Go to the Settings on OnePlus 5 and select the About Phone and tap 7 times on the Build Number to unlock the Developer Mode.
- From the Developer mode turn on the USB debugging, Advanced Boot, OEM Debugging and connect you OnePlus 5 to the computer.
- Navigate to the folder on your computer where the TWRP file had been saved and open the command prompt from that location by selecting the File option on the top-left of the screen and click on Open Command Prompt. Or hold Shift + Right Click and select the Open command window here.
- Hold the Power button on OnePlus 5, Select Restart > Bootloader
adb reboot bootloader
on the command prompt.
- If you get a notification then allow access on OnePlus 5 for ‘USB debugging’ and proceed.
- Once the OnePlus 5 boots into the bootloader mode, enter the
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
command in the command prompt window.
Note: Enter the TWRP file name while entering the command instead of twrp.img or change the recovery file name to twrp.img to continue with the same command mentioned above.
- Now type
on the command prompt after the TWRP flash successfully installs on your OnePlus 5.
- TWRP recovery would be installed on your device after following these steps. If you need to recover the device back into TWRP recovery then enter the
adb reboot recovery
command in the command prompt. This would help you to get back to the same point preventing software failure on your OnePlus 5.
In case you still aren’t able to install the TWRP recovery on your OnePlus 5, you can follow our guide to install TWRP recovery on OnePlus 5. You can follow our TWRP flashing guide for all OnePlus devices too.
How to Install the Root Setup
Download the root, which you are willing to install on the OnePlus 5. We have provided the link to download SuperSU which is the most popular one. You can also use Magisk, Superuser setup on your device. Depending on the performance and feature you can choose one of these root setups. Proceed with this step and upon successful completion of TWRP recovery.
- Download SuperSU for OnePlus 5
- Once you download the SuperSU setup file, transfer it to the OnePlus 5’s storage from your computer.
- Boot the device on to TWRP recovery and you will see a different interface on the device now.
- Enter the pattern in the next menu or you can skip this step. You may see a page with Unmodified System Partition, choose the swipe option below stating Swipe to Allow Modification.
- In the next menu select the Install option on the top-left of the screen. Navigate to the SuperSU file which was transferred earlier and select it.
- In order to confirm the installation select Swipe to confirm flash on the bottom of the screen and wait till the flash process completes. This may take about 30 seconds.
- After the SuperSU is flashed on to your OnePlus 5 you may select the Reboot System.
Now the device would boot up normally with SuperSU installed on it. You would get a similar interface as of OnePlus 5, to confirm the installation go to the app drawer and scroll down to see an app called SuperSU. You can find apps to install and settings from this app.
Rooting a device allows you to unlock a lot of customizations, get the latest Android update, get specific apps to improve the performance, free tethering option, get rid of the default apps which you hardly use and much more. If are looking forward to Root your device, install the SuperSu and unlock all the features today.