OnePlus, the Chinese smartphone manufacturer launched the OnePlus 5T. With OnePlus 5T, the Chinese smartphone maker has brought in the concept of edge-to-edge display in OnePlus devices. Unlocking the bootloader of a device isn’t a tough process, but the process is different for different brands, that’s the reason why we’re here with a step-by-step guide to help you unlock the Bootloader of your OnePlus 5T.
How to Unlock the Bootloader of OnePlus 5T?
Unlocking the Bootloader is the first step towards customization. Without unlocking it, you can’t install a custom recovery or root your device.— Android Tutorials How companies lock the bootloader to avoid people from accessing the internals. Because messing with the internals without having knowledge about it could create issues. If you are unlocking the bootloader for the first time, then you should be aware of the fact that “Unlocking the bootloader” could result in formatting of your data. This means, all the data which is stored on your device will be wiped out after the unlocking is completed.
- OnePlus 5T with charge above 80%
- A Windows PC.
- ADB and Fastboot installed.
- Type-C Charging Cable (Official recommended)
Steps to Unlock the Bootloader of OnePlus 5T
- Make sure that ADB and Fastboot are installed on your PC. To check if it is installed properly, open Command prompt and type “adb” and “fastboot”. On typing adb, you’ll see some ADB commands and after you finish typing fastboot, you’ll see some fastboot commands.
- Enable USB Debugging on your OnePlus 5T. To enable, follow the below steps
- Go to Settings > Developer Options > Enable USB debugging.
- If you don’t see Developer options, enable the developer options by going to Settings > About > Build Number and tap it for 7 times.
- Enable “OEM Unlocking.” To do so:
- Go to Settings > Developer Options > OEM Unlocking and Enable it.
- Connect your OnePlus 5T to your PC using the Type-C cable and enter the below command and if ADB has detected your device, you’ll be able to see your device as a response to the command.
- You might see a popup on your device, asking you to allow “USB debugging access”, Please allow the access. This way, you’ll allow ADB to interact with your device.
- After you’ve given the USB debugging permission, open command prompt and enter the below command to boot your device in to “Bootloader or Fastboot mode.”
adb reboot bootloader
- Your device will reboot into bootloader mode and you’ll be able to see “Fastboot mode” written on the screen of your device. To check if the device has been detected by Fastboot, type the below command in the command prompt.
- Although the above command isn’t mandatory, if you don’t get your device in the response to the command then Fastboot hasn’t detected your device, You might have to re-install the ADB and Fastboot. However, if you see your OnePlus device there, you’re all set to begin the unlocking process. You can enter the below command to unlock the bootloader of your OnePlus 5T.
fastboot oem unlock
- That’s it. You’ve successfully unlocked the bootloader of your OnePlus 5T.
However, if you weren’t able to unlock the bootloader of your OnePlus 5T, then you’ll need to re-try the steps mentioned above. If they don’t seem to work again, feel free to comment below and one of our Android experts will get in touch with you with a solution. There are chances that you might end up bricking up your OnePlus 5T or it might have got stuck into a bootloop.
Unlocked the Bootloader? What Next?
Have a different OnePlus Device?