How to Install Android O Developer Preview
Google, the search giant recently released the android o developer preview for Nexus and Pixel devices. In this guide, you’ll be guided through steps to install the build on your device. Without, wasting a minute more, let’s begin with the steps to flash android o on your smartphone.
The worst thing about using an android device is, the updates and the OS version is decided by the manufacturer and not by Google. So, the android O isn’t available for all the devices. Here’s the list of devices which supports Android O
- Google Nexus 5X
- Google Nexus 6P
- Google Nexus Player
- Google Pixel C
- Google Pixel
- Google Pixel XL
Installing Android O
Before beginning with the guide, we would like to tell you that the developer preview is only out for some devices. In case your device isn’t listed under the supported devices section, you shall avoid following the guide.
Unlocking the Bootloader
Unlocking the bootloader is an essential step, without unlocking the bootloader, you won’t be able to flash the Android O developer build on your device. Follow the below steps to unlock the bootloader of your device
- Boot into Fastboot mode.
- In case you know the key combinations then, you shall turn-off your device and press the key combinations and you’ll boot your device into fastboot mode.
- In case you have ADB installed, then connect your device to your PC and enter the below command: adb reboot bootloader
- Unlock the bootloader
- After your device is booted into fastboot mode, connect your device to your PC and type the command: fastboot devices (It’ll show the device if it is connected)
- In case it isn’t showing up, then there is some issue with the setup, kindly follow the above mentioned steps again and try.
- In case it shows up, type the command: fastboot oem unlock
- That’s it, you’ve successfully unlocked the bootloader of your device.
Flashing the Developer Preview
Now, unzip/extract the image you’ve downloaded into some folder which you shall easily remember or access. You’ll see a file called flash-all.bat (Windows) or flash-all.sh (Ubuntu or Mac). That’s it, have your device in fastboot mode and execute the script in the command prompt or terminal.
Voila, you’ve successfully flashed the android o developer preview on your device. In case, you find some issues with the device, that’s maybe because of the flash-all script. In such a case, you shall follow the below mentioned sequence of flashing the files which will help you in successful installation of Android O on your device.
fastboot flash bootloader.img fastboot flash radio.img fastboot reboot-bootloader fastboot flash recovery recovery.img fastboot flash boot boot.img fastboot flash system system.img fastboot flash vendor vendor.img fastboot flash cache cache.img fastboot flash userdata userdata.img fastboot reboot