The official LineageOS for Samsung Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ are already available on their website. We’ve mentioned it in our list of the best custom roms for Galaxy S9 too. Many people are confused with the installation. That’s why we’ve manually tested this guide at our labs and have come up with exact steps you’ll need to follow to install the ROM on your device.
You’ll need to have a custom recovery such as TWRP recovery installed on your device to flash LineageOS. That’s why we already posted a guide to install TWRP and root the Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+. The mentioned guide also includes rooting your device, if you don’t want to root the device, stop after TWRP recovery installation.
Downloads & Requirements
Also, make sure your phone’s model number is included in the list below. If it isn’t then don’t carry out this procedure for your phone.
- Galaxy S9: SM-G960F, SM-G960F/DS, Korean SM-G960N
- Galaxy S9 Plus: SM-G965F, SM-G965F/DS, Korean SM-G965N
Coming back, here is a list of things that you will need to download.
Flashing Lineage OS, Google Apps to your device
Make sure you have downloaded everything and moved to your phone’s storage and don’t unzip them. Let’s move on to the procedure section and find out how to carry out this process.
Don’t forget to take a backup of everything because this process will be wiping your phone completely and you will lose all your app data and settings etc. Taking a backup isn’t a bad idea. Let’s now begin with the steps!
- Make sure you have downloaded everything and you fulfill all the requirements mentioned above.
- Boot your device into recovery mode. To do so, Turn off your device and once it is off, press and hold the Bixby button + Volume up button + Power button. Release the power button once the phone turns on, but don’t release the Bixby and volume up button.
- Alternatively, if your device is rooted. You can use apps like Quick Reboot which will reboot your device into TWRP recovery without pressing any key combinations.
- Now that you are in recovery mode, you have to install the downloaded zip files from before.
- Tap on Wipe and perform a factory reset. This is necessary if you are coming from some other ROM. After the wipe is complete, go back to TWRP home and tap on Install.
- When you tap on install, you will be able to see the files that you moved to your phone’s storage.
- Select the Lineage OS zip that you downloaded for your phone and wait for it to install.
- After you’ve flashed the LineageOS on your device, follow the same steps and flash the Google Apps package.(Go to TWRP home > Tap on install > Select Gaps zip file.)
- After both of these files are flashed, go ahead and flash the remaining root add-on. All this will only take a few minutes.
After the flashing is complete, you are good to go. You can tap on reboot and the phone will be rebooted into Lineage OS 15.1. The first reboot might take some time as the operating system optimizes things for performance. So don’t freak out if it takes extra time. However, if it doesn’t start even after 10-15 minutes there’s a chance that your device is stuck in a bootloop. Clearing the cache from the TWRP recovery could solve the problem!