Huawei, the Chinese smartphone company gained a lot of success, thanks to the Google Nexus 6P. Huawei is known for its camera quality. You can pick up any Huawei phone and you will be amazed by the quality of the camera it offers. The Honor series of Huawei is a big hit and is doing a decent business in the smartphone market. But, no matter which phone we are using we all wish to do some experiments and for that, you need to root the phone.
- How to Install TWRP recovery on Huawei Phones
Installing a custom recovery such as TWRP recovery enables a lot of options. After the installation, one can simply flash ROMs, mods etc. In fact, having a custom recovery is an important part if you are planning to root your device. It’s because the stock recovery won’t allow you to flash the root script. So without wasting a minute more on introduction, let’s begin with the steps to install TWRP recovery on Huawei phones.
- You must unlock the bootloader of your Huawei device before installing the TWRP.
- You need to take the backup of your phone as this process will wipe the complete data.
- Charge your phone to at least 50% as if got discharged in mid-way, it can get bricked and will stop functioning at all.
- USB Debugging should be enabled on your Huawei device. Navigate to Settings > Developer Options and tap on USB Debugging to enable it.
- This process will void the warranty of the device so continue at your own risks and when you are sure that you can carry out the process.
Step 1: Install ADB & Fastboot Drivers
If you’ve already unlocked the bootloader then you must be having the ADB and fastboot installed on your system. You can avoid following the step 1 if it’s already installed. In case you aren’t sure, just go the command prompt and type adb or fastboot.
ADB or Android Debug Bridge acts like a communication tool between your Huawei device and PC. Fastboot is used to modify the Android File system from a PC when your phone is in a bootloader mode. Thanks to Snoop5 who is an XDA member, you can get both ADB & Fastboot at one place.
- Click here to download 15 seconds ADB Installer from our ADB guide .
- Run & install the setup.
- Open the software & it will open a command prompt with Blue Background. Type Y to agree to conditions and it will start the setup.
- It will also install the USB drivers needed for the phone to connect to PC.
Step 2: Install TWRP on your Huawei Device
- Download TWRP Recovery File for your device on your PC (Download .img file).
- Open the folder where the TWRP Recovery File is downloaded.
- Now hold Shift and Right Click on any empty space in this folder and select ‘Open Command Windows Here’.
- Connect your Huawei device to PC via USB Cable, prefer to use the original one. Once connected, type the below command in command prompt to boot the phone into bootloader mode.
adb reboot bootloader
- Rename the .img file to twrp-xxx.img and type the fastboot recovery flashing command in command prompt as shown below
fastboot flash recovery twrp-xxx.img
- Now, type the below command to reboot your device.
- You have now successfully installed TWRP recovery on your Huawei Device.
Why do you need to Install TWRP and Root your phone?
Installing TWRP is the second step towards rooting after unlocking the bootloader. By rooting you gets access to many new things and can use your phone in a completely different way. In most simple terms, rooting gives you the root access to your Android device code and allows you to modify the software code or install other software which is not usually allowed in unrooted phones. Here are few benefits of rooting:
Advantages of Rooting
- It allows you to install Custom ROMs & Kernel so that your device can deliver faster & better performance.
- With rooting, you can block ads in apps using the ad blocker.
- You can also kill the background process automatically in a rooted device which enhances the battery life and performance of the phone.
- You can install third party apps and apps that require root access. In addition to that, you can also uninstall the pre-installed apps or bloatware.
- Rooting also helps in taking a complete backup of your device with the assistance of Titanium Tool.
- Rooting gives you the master access to your Android phone and you can modify it as per your choice.