How to Install TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 5T?
TWRP recovery is one of the most popular custom recoveries in the market. Although there are many recoveries, TWRP recovery is popular because it’s stable and the developers keep updating it with new features. Want to install it on your OnePlus 5T? So let’s get started with the steps to flash it on your device. If you are new to custom recoveries, you might be interested in checking our beginners guide to custom recovery.
How to Install TWRP recovery on OnePlus 5?
The steps aren’t tough, but if not followed properly, one might end up causing problems such as “Bootloop”, “Bricking” etc. So please follow the steps in a properly. This procedure includes unlocking the bootloader, which might erase all the data that is stored on your device. So we recommend you to take a backup of important things stored on your device.
DISCLAIMER: Neither AndroidTutorialsHow nor the author will be held responsible for any damage that might occur while or after following the guide. By following the steps you make yourself responsible for any issues. However, feel free to comment down if you mess up. We’ll have our Android Expert to solve your problem.
- OnePlus 5T with charge above 80%.
- ADB and Fastboot Installed on your PC.
- Download TWRP Recovery for OnePlus 5T (Make sure you download the IMG file.)
- Unlocked Bootloader (Follow steps to unlock the bootloader of OnePlus 5T.)
- USB Type-C cable (Official cable recommended.)
Flashing the TWRP Recovery on your OnePlus 5T
The Unlocking Bootloader procedure includes enabling USB debugging, OEM Unlocking and Developer options. DON’T DISABLE them after unlocking if you want to install the TWRP recovery.— Android Tutorials How
Since you’ve already unlocked the bootloader of your OnePlus 5T, we assume that ADB and Fastboot have been properly setup on your PC. If you haven’t unlocked it yet, then unlock it, as you won’t be able to install a custom recovery without unlocking the bootloader. Unlocked the bootloader already? Follow the below steps.
- Create a folder on your desktop. (This isn’t a mandatory step, but this will save you from a lot of mess.)
- Download the TWRP recovery and store it in a folder you created.
- Rename the TWRP recovery to recovery.img
- Go to the folder you created and Press Shift Key + Right-click on Mouse and click on “Open Command Window here.“
- Type the command
- If ADB is working properly you get a response to your command with a device name. You can proceed ahead, but if you don’t get a response you’ll need to setup ADB again.
- Now type the command below to boot your device into fastboot mode.
adb reboot bootloader
- Once your device is in fastboot mode, you’ll need to check if the fastboot on your PC is working properly with your device. So type the command
- If you don’t see a device as a response to the command, re-install ADB and Fastboot. If you see them, you can continue with the steps.
- Type the below command to flash the TWRP recovery to your device.
adb flash recovery recovery.img
- Type the fastboot reboot command to reboot your OnePlus 5T.
- The flashing process is completed, you would want to check out the recovery, to do that. Type the below command on your command prompt to boot your device into recovery mode (Make sure your device is connected to your PC.)
adb reboot recovery
- You can also try using the key combinations to boot your device into recovery mode, but a lot of people who are first-timers end up not being able to boot. If you want to try the key combinations then turn off your device and Press Power + Volume Down button.
- The OnePlus devices come with the “Advanced booting options” in the Developer options. Don’t use the advanced booting option to boot into recovery mode, as that’ll boot you into the stock recovery.