How to Install TWRP Recovery on OnePlus Devices
A custom recovery like TWRP comes with a lot of advantages over the stock recovery. That’s why a lot of people prefer a custom recovery. In this article, we shall explain you with steps to install TWRP recovery on any OnePlus device. TWRP recovery was initially developed for Nexus devices but now it is available for almost all smartphones.
How to Install TWRP recovery on OnePlus devices?
TWRP recovery is available for most of the brands and OnePlus is one among them. It is fully compatible with OnePlus devices & works flawlessly. It is important to have an unlocked bootloader to install TWRP recovery on your OnePlus device. It won’t work if the bootloader of your device is locked.
TWRP further helps in rooting of your phone. Post-installation, you can also install custom ROMs and custom Kernels (root required) on your OnePlus device. Once you have installed TWRP on your device, you can easily root your phone and customize it fully as per your needs.Here is a small two step guide on how you can install TWRP recovery on your OnePlus Device. We would suggest you be careful during the process as this process, may void the product warranty, wipe data or even brick your device.
- You must unlock the bootloader of your OnePlus device before installing the TWRP Recovery.
- Take a complete backup of your OnePlus Device as this process will erase all the data present on your phone.
- Ensure that your OnePlus device is at least 80% charged.
- Enable USB Debugging
- Go to Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging & tap to enable it. (If you are not able to access Developer Options, go to Settings > About Phone > Build Number & tap 7 times on Build Number)
- PC with Internet Connection, USB Cable and of course your OnePlus Device.
Install TWRP Recovery on OnePlus Devices
Step 1: Install ADB & Fastboot Drivers
There are various ways by which you can install ADB & Fastboot drivers but, thanks to a simple tool created by XDA member Snoop5, you can easily install both ADB & Fastboot in just 15 seconds.
- Click here to download 15 seconds ADB Installer.
- After downloading, double-click on the downloaded file and install it.
- Once it is installed, you will see a command prompt with Blue Background. You just need to Type Y to install all the drivers.
- This tool will download ADB & Fastboot along with USB Device drivers.
Step 2: Install TWRP on your OnePlus Device
After installing ADB & Fastboot drivers, you just need to download TWRP on your PC and enter few commands.
BEFORE Beginning: If you haven’t unlocked the bootloader of your device, then follow our guide “OnePlus Bootloader Unlock” to unlock it, because you won’t be able to flash the recovery without an unlocked bootloader.
- Download TWRP Recovery File for your device on your PC.
- Open the folder where you have downloaded the TWRP Recovery File. (The extension of the file would be .img). Rename it to “Twrp-recovery” and keep the extension as .img
- Open the Command Prompt inside that folder by clicking
- Shift + Right click on any empty space inside that folder.
- Select the option, ‘Open Command Windows Here’.
- Connect your OnePlus device to PC via USB Cable.
- Type the below command in the command prompt window and it will boot your device into bootloader mode.
adb reboot bootloader
It may ask for permission with a message ‘Allow USB debugging’, just tap on OK to continue.
- Once your OnePlus device enters the bootloader mode, type the below command in the command prompt and press Enter.
fastboot flash recovery twrp-recovery.img
- This will start the installation of TWRP recovery on your OnePlus device. Once it is done, type the
command in command prompt and you are done. You have now successfully installed TWRP recovery on your OnePlus device.
If the steps were followed properly then you’ve successfully install TWRP recovery on your OnePlus device. You can go ahead with the rooting process and can explore the new possibilities for your device. Let us know if you faced any difficulty while installing TWRP Recovery on your OnePlus device.