How to Install TWRP Recovery and Root the Huawei Mate 9
Rooting and installing TWRP on the Huawei Mate 9 might seem like a tough task but it is quite easy. You have to first unlock the bootloader, then you can flash TWRP and then install SuperSU or Magisk in order to root the device. Unlocking the bootloader for Huawei devices has a different method. You need to get a 16-character password from Huawei in order to unlock your device’s bootloader. Let us see how to unlock the bootloader and then we will move on to root the phone.
It’s not necessary to complete all the steps mentioned in the article. If you are here just to unlock the bootloader or install the TWRP recovery. We’ve clearly divided the steps into sections, so you can avoid following the part you don’t want to. However, to root the device, you’ll have to follow everything step by step. To install the TWRP recovery, you’ll have to unlock the bootloader and follow the TWRP recovery installation steps.
Unlocking Bootloader of Huawei Mate 9
As mentioned, the method of unlocking bootloader of a Huawei device is quite different. You need to get a password from Huawei in order to move forward with the process to get the password from Huawei is mentioned below. Follow the steps given below:
- Head over to the Huawei Bootloader Unlock request page and register an account for yourself. If you already have an account then login to your account.
- After you are logged in, you can create a request to get the unlock password. You will get the password within hours or 2-3 days after applying.
- After you have received your unlock code, go ahead and install the ADB drivers.
- Let us unlock the bootloader of the Huawei Mate 9.
- Keep in mind that you will lose all the data while unlocking the bootloader so it is a good idea to take a backup of everything including stuff on your phone’s internal storage.
- On your phone, go to Settings > About Phone > Tap Build Number 7-8 times to enable developer options.
- Now go to Settings > Developer options and enable USB Debugging and OEM unlocking.
- Connect the Huawei Mate 9 to the PC using micro USB cable.
- Start the ADB terminal and type
- Tap Allow on any prompt that pops up on the phone. The command given above verify that the phone is connected to your PC and is working fine with ADB.
- Now enter the reload command
adb reboot bootloader
- This will restart your phone in the bootloader mode.
- Verify your phone is detected by entering
- You should see the device ID along with fastboot written along with it.
- Now enter the below command and press on the Enter button.
fastboot oem unlock <your-unlock-password>
- The device will be unlocked within 10-15 seconds.
This is all you need to do in order to unlock the bootloader of Huawei Mate 9. Let us now move on to the process of installing TWRP recovery.
Read: Unlock the Bootloader of any Huawei Device [Detailed Steps]
Installing TWRP & Rooting Huawei Mate 9
Installing TWRP is easy and can be done in fastboot mode. Follow the steps listed below and you will have TWRP along with root in no time on your Huawei Mate 9. You can follow our guide to install TWRP recovery on any Huawei device if you own a different Huawei device.
- Reboot your phone into Fastboot mode using the same set of commands used above. ADB is necessary for this process.
- Download the latest TWRP for your Huawei Mate 9.
- After you have downloaded the TWRP image, just rename it to twrp.img and store it in a folder.
- Inside the folder, hold the SHIFT key on keyboard and right click on your mouse. Click on Open Command Window here.
- Now enter the below command to boot your device into fastboot/bootloader mode.
adb reboot bootloader
- Enter the below command to flash the TWRP recovery to your Huawei Mate 9
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- This will flash TWRP on your Huawei Mate 9. Reboot your phone. This is all you need to do in order to flash TWRP on the device. Now let us move on to rooting the phone.
Rooting the Huawei Mate 9
- Download the Phh’s Superuser for Huawei Mate 9
- Move the ZIP to the external SD card on your phone. Make sure it is on the external SD card or it won’t work.
- Now reboot into TWRP and tap on Install and choose the downloaded ZIP file.
- Swipe in order to flash the ZIP file and then Wipe Dalvik Cache.
- Reboot your phone and then install the Phh’s Superuser app from Play Store.
This is all that needs to be done to gain root access to your Huawei Mate 9. This was a small tutorial where we told you how to install TWRP and gain root access on your Huawei Mate 9.