How to Root OnePlus 3T
Rooting the OnePlus 3T is not a big task but most of the tutorials on the internet only show the way to root OnePlus 3T running Marshmallow. OnePlus 3T already got an update to Android 7.0 Nougat and the rooting method is a bit tweaked. We have already written a tutorial on how you can unlock the bootloader of OnePlus 3T & install TWRP on it.
Rooting your OnePlus 3T will allow you to try out the mods and apps that need root access. Root access mainly refers to getting admin access to your Android device’s system so you can modify the system files etc. Thankfully, getting root access on the OnePlus 3T isn’t very hard and all you need is an unlocked bootloader and TWRP. Let’s get started with the tutorial.
Downloads & Requirements
After unlocking the bootloader and installing TWRP, just transfer the downloading SuperSU ZIP file to your phone’s storage. Then move on to following the steps given below.
Steps to Root OnePlus 3T
- The first thing you need to do is reboot into the recovery mode. If you don’t know how to do it, then just turn your OnePlus 3T off. Then press the volume down button along with the power button until the Android splash screen pops up. Let go of these buttons after that.
- You will see that you have rebooted into TWRP that we will use for installing SuperSU.
- Tap the Install button and then you will be asked to choose the flashable ZIP.
- Choose the downloaded SuperSU ZIP file and then swipe to flash.
- Flashing the ZIP will not take much time. After flashing, just wipe the Dalvik cache and choose to reboot to system.
- Keep in mind that booting up after rooting may take some time so just hang on and wait.
Own a OnePlus 5 (Root it now?)
How to check if you have Root Access?
- After all, this is done, it is important that you check if the process went fine and your phone is actually rooted.
- Just go ahead and download the Root Checker app from Play Store.
- Open the Root Checker app after it is installed and then tap the Verify Root button.
- You will be asked for a SuperSU prompt like in the image below.
- Tap on Grant or Allow button and then your root access will be verified.
- This means your process has gone through fine and your OnePlus 3T is properly rooted.
SuperSU will be used to allow root access to any apps that ask your prompt for root. This was a very small tutorial in which we saw how to root the OnePlus 3T running Nougat with OxygenOS 4.0.3. The process is quite easy to carry out and there are many benefits of rooting your device as well. We will cover a separate post about rooting in which you will be able to read more.
Want to Speed up your OnePlus 3T? Here are some good kernels you should look in