If you are planning to root your LG G4, you will have to unlock the bootloader & install TWRP recovery on it. It is a basic requirement and without it, you cannot root your LG G4. In this guide, you’ll learn steps to unlock the bootloader and install TWRP recovery on your LG G4. So without wasting a minute more, let’s get into the details.
Most of the manufacturers lock the Bootloader of the devices for security purposes. However, they allow users to unlock the bootloader. So, only people with knowledge about it can access it. Messing with the bootloader can lead to bricking of your android device. And unless you have an unlocked bootloader, you won’t be able to make changes to the system partitions. So to flash the TWRP recovery, you’ll need to have an unlocked bootloader. For some devices, unlocking the bootloader might erase the data stored on your phone.
Every Android phone comes with a stock recovery installed. The stock recovery has a very limited number of functions, that’s why people prefer using custom recoveries over the stock. TWRP recovery is one of the best custom recoveries available in the market, it has a lot of features and is stable too. That’s why we recommend you to install TWRP recovery. It’ll be used to flash the root scripts, custom kernels etc.
Things to check before unlocking the Bootloader
- Take the complete backup as unlocking may wipe all the data present on your phone.
- Make sure your device is at least 80% charged.
- You have a USB cable to connect your device to PC.
- Unlocking of Bootloader may void the warranty of the phone.
- Go to Settings > About Phone > Build Number. Tap on Build Number until you see the message “You’re now a developer!”
- Now, go back to Settings > Developer Options. Tap on OEM Unlocking and USB debugging to enable these options. Provide the password/pin if asked.
Installation of ADB & Fastboot on PC
Without the ADB & Fastboot, you won’t be able to connect your LG G4 to PC. The below process will also install the phone drivers so you don’t need to install USB drivers for your LG G4 separately.
- Click here to download ADB & Fastboot Installer.
- Once downloaded, run the setup and you will see a command prompt with a blue background.
- Now, you just need to agree to all the prompts. Just type Y and press Enter.
- Once this is installed, the setup will close on its own.
Unlocking the Bootloader of LG G4
- Connect your LG G4 to PC via USB.
- Open the folder where you have downloaded the ADB Files. Now you need to open Command Prompt. To do so press Shift + Right Click and click on “Open Command Window Here”.
- In Command prompt, type the below command to check if the ADB has access to your device.
- If you see your device at the command prompt, then type the reboot bootloader command to reboot the device into fastboot/bootloader mode.
adb reboot bootloader
- Now type the below command to get the ID of your phone.
fastboot oem device-id
- You need to form a single line code from the result you will get. Remove all the spaces, (bootloader) and your code will look something like ‘CD58B679A38D6B613ED518F37A05E013F93190BD558261DBBC5584E8EF8789B1’.
- Now, go to LG’s developer website from your PC.
- Go to the bottom of the page.
- Click on ‘Start Unlocking the Bootloader’.
- Now, Sign in with your details and enter the device ID (the one which we got above) and IMEI.
- Dial *#06# in your dialer to get IMEI number of your device.
- You will get an email on your mail ID which you used to sign in, Download the file on your PC. Save the file in the folder where you are running the ADB and Fastboot tools from.
- Now, type the below command and it will unlock the bootloader of your phone. The command would look similar to below command
fastboot flash unlock.bin
- Just type the below command to boot your device.
- It will start your phone which features an unlocked bootloader now.
Installing TWRP Recovery on LG G4
- Download the TWRP Recovery file for your LG G4.
- Open the folder where you have downloaded the ADB Files and copy the TWRP Recovery file to that folder.
- Open Command Prompt from that folder
- Press Shift + Right Click and click on “Open Command Window Here”.
- Connect your Phone to PC via USB Cable and type the below command to enter to the bootloader mode.
adb reboot bootloader
- Type to flash the TWRP recovery on your LG G4.
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- Type the reboot command as shown below to reboot the device.
- That’s it you’ve successfully unlocked the Bootloader and installed TWRP recovery on your LG G4. You can now flash scripts, flash custom ROMs, custom kernels and root your LG G4. New to Rooting? Read our beginners guide to rooting.
DISCLAIMER: Neither AndroidTutorialsHow nor the Author would be responsible for any damage that might occur while or after following the guide. You declare yourself responsible for all the damages that might occur. However, you are always free to contact us via comments or contact us page in case you get stuck somewhere.