How to Unlock Bootloader of Motorola Devices
As we all know, unlocking the bootloader is a mandatory step to be followed before installing a custom recovery, ROM etc. In this article, you’ll be guided with steps to unlock the bootloader of any Motorola device. Thanks to Moto G Series that Motorola is again ruling the smartphone market. It is the success of devices like Moto G3, Moto G4, Moto G4 Plus, Moto X due to which Motorola is still in the game.
How to Unlock the Bootloader of Motorola Devices?
When it comes to unlocking the bootloader of Motorola’s devices, the company is very strict and allows to unlock the bootloader through their own ways only. Unlocking the Bootloader of any Motorola phone is a bit complex but here is a simple step by step guide on how to unlock the bootloader of any Motorola Phone.
- Backup all the data present on your phone as unlocking the bootloader may wipe all the data from your phone.
- Make sure your Motorola device is at least 50 % charged.
- USB Cable (Preferably original)
- PC with stable Internet connection & your Motorola phone
Step 1: Making your Motorola device ready
- On your Motorola phone, go to Settings > About Phone > Build Number. Now, keep tapping the Build Number till you get the message “You’re now a developer!”.
- Now, you have Developer’s Access. Go back to Settings and at the bottom, you will see Developer Options. Click on it and you will find OEM Unlocking. Tap on OEM Unlocking and it will ask for password/pin. Provide the same and your OEM unlocking option will be enabled.
- Similarly, enable the USB Debugging. Press OK to the warning prompt.
- Now, switch off your device and reboot into bootloader mode. Press Power + Volume Down Key at the same time and you will see the phone in bootloader mode.
Step 2: Making your PC ready
For unlocking the bootloader, you need to install ADB & Fastboot on your PC.
- Click here to Download ADB & Fastboot.
- Once it is downloaded, run the downloaded file and install the setup.
- Once it is installed, you will be greeted by command prompt with a blue background. Just say Yes to all the prompts which appear on the screen.
- For every prompt Type Y and press Enter.
Step 3: Getting the Code
- Connect your phone (in Bootloader Mode) to PC via USB Cable.
- Now, navigate to ADB & Fastboot directory and open Command Prompt by pressing Shift & right click mouse. Choose “Open command window here”.
- Type the below command in command prompt and press Enter
It will return an alphanumeric string followed by the term fastboot. If you don’t get such message reinstall ADB & Fastboot or check whether your device is in bootloader mode or not.
- Now, type the below code and it’ll give you a 4-5 line code.
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- Now, copy the number appearing after ‘(bootloader)’. Paste this code in Notepad or Word and combine all the number together to make a single code like
Step 4: Getting the Unlock Code from Motorola
- Go to Motorola’s Website & read all the instructions & risks involved in the process.
- Navigate to the bottom of the page and click on Next. Now, you need to Sign In to your Motorola Account. Create one if you don’t have a Motorola account.
- Now, paste the entire code under the option “Can my device be unlocked?” and click on same.
- Now, select the “I Agree” button & click on Request Unlock Key. You will get the Unlock Code on your email id through which you have created your Motorola account.
Step 5: Unlocking the Bootloader
- Open the Command prompt just like we did in step 3. Make sure your Motorola device is in Bootloader mode and is connected to PC via USB Cable.
- Type the below line and paste the unique code you got instead of <code>
fastboot oem unlock <code>
- Press Enter and your bootloader will be unlocked.
That’s it, You’ve successfully learned to unlock the bootloader of any Motorola device. The steps would work on all the Motorola devices available in the market, you shall follow this guide to unlock the bootloader of any Motorola device.
Note: We are happy to help you in case of any issues you might come across while following the guide, but by following the guide, you agree to fact that neither the author nor the website would be liable for any damage that occurs while or after following this guide.