How to Unlock Bootloader of OnePlus Phones
OnePlus is one of the best things that happened to the smartphone industry. With supposed ties with Oppo, the company has passed Oppo in terms of popularity way back. It is one of the most developer-friendly brands that are available which means you have the freedom to flash ROMs, root and mod your OnePlus devices. We have phones like OnePlus One, OnePlus X, OnePlus 2, OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T and they’re all great devices.
Procedure to Unlock Bootloader of OnePlus Phones
The first device that OnePlus ever released, the OnePlus One was one of the best smartphones and I still have mine. I love it. The company also released OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T which are both really great phones. One thing that I absolutely love about OnePlus smartphones is the fact that they can be unlocked so easily. This method works the same for OnePlus One, OnePlus 2, OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T and OnePlus 5. Let’s get started.
Downloads & Requirements
The first and foremost requirement is that you need to have the ADB and Fastboot drivers installed on your computer. It doesn’t really matter which OS you are running.
- Computer System.
- ADB and Fastboot on PC (Install ADB and Fastboot drivers)
- OnePlus Device (Charge above 80% recommended)
- USB Cable
Steps to Unlock the Bootloader of OnePlus Devices
The process is quite straightforward and you need to use ADB and fastboot commands. Just follow the steps that are listed below.
- Install the ADB and fastboot drivers using the process hyperlinked above.
- Now that you have your ADB and fastboot drivers installed, just connect your OnePlus device to the PC and start the ADB terminal.
- Make sure USB Debugging is ON. To turn it on just go to Settings > Developer Options and turn it on. To enable Developer Options, you need to go to About Phone and tap the Build number 7-8 times.
- Now connect your phone to the PC, start the ADB terminal and enter the following command.
- You will have to allow access on the phone so check the OnePlus phone and tap on Allow.
- After you have allows USB debugging access, just go ahead and enter the command given below.
adb reboot bootloader
- This command will reboot your OnePlus phone into the fastboot mode where we will now use fastboot commands. Enter the command given below.
- The ADB terminal will show your phone is connected. Now that you can see your phone, let us move forward.
Unlocking the bootloader will wipe your phone clean which means all the data and settings on the phone will be wiped. You internal storage will be cleared and it is important that you take a backup beforehand.
- Enter the command below and your phone will be unlocked within a few seconds.
fastboot oem unlock
- The command given above will fully and officially unlock the bootloader of your OnePlus device.
This is all you need to do in order to unlock the bootloader of a OnePlus device and as you can see, the process is quite easy to follow. Most of them unlock the bootloader in order to install TWRP recovery on their OnePlus device. You can follow our TWRP recovery installation guide for OnePlus devices to flash.