Xiaomi, the Chinese smartphone company launched the Xiaomi Redmi 5A phone in October 2017. Xiaomi’s Redmi series focuses on the low-budget segment and Redmi 5A is no exception to that policy. Unlocking bootloader of the Xiaomi Redmi 5A is little tedious and requires a bit of patience. As the title says, this guide shall help you with steps to unlock the bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi 5A. So, let’s begin with the guide.
Before we start the unlocking procedure, you will have to place a request to Xiaomi to get their approval for this procedure. As we said, this is an authentication procedure of Xiaomi to verify if the request is placed by the device owner.
Unlike most of the smartphone companies, Xiaomi adds an additional authentication step for the bootloader unlocking. It is done just to make sure that it’s the device owner who’s trying to unlocking the device. If you are doing this for the first time, you should be aware of the fact that unlocking the bootloader of your Redmi 5A could fully wipe your phone data completely. So always make sure that you have a complete backup of your device.
Place a Request for Unlocking the Bootloader
- Open the “Apply for Unlock by MI” page on your favorite Web browser.
- Click on the blue “Unlock Now” button at the bottom of the page.
- You’ll be redirected to a login page, Enter the MI account credentials. Make sure that you use the same credentials which you are using on your Redmi 5A. It’ll be a Chinese page, so if you are using Google Chrome, the automatic translation feature would be helpful.
- Once logged in, Unlock Application Permissions page will be visible to you. You have to fill in all required fields then click “Apply Immediately” button. Make sure that you are giving your actual phone number as this procedure will be authenticated via OTP. Entering the reason is also important, so make sure you enter a valid reason.
- After applying, you’ll be redirected to the “Unlock Application Permissions”, You’ll need to enter the OTP. The SMS might take some time to arrive, so don’t panic and keep clicking the “Resend” button. The system might block you if you keep clicking the resend button. The code would be valid for 5 minutes.
- Once the verification is completed, you’ll be redirected to another page which is shown as below. From this point, you will have to wait for 3-21 days for the review of your application. The approval process is manual, you will have to be patient about this procedure.
- If your application is rejected after the review, you can check out the re-apply page.
Unlocking the Bootloader
You’ll get a confirmation from Xiaomi if your device is approved for the unlock process. Don’t start this before receiving the message. After receiving the message, you’ll have 30 days to unlock your device. We’ve listed the requirements below, make sure you have those before beginning the steps.
- Xiaomi Redmi 5A with 80% Charge.
- A Windows Laptop/PC.
- USB cable of the device. (Official recommended)
- Download the MiFlash unlocking tool
- Login to your Mi account on your device.
Final Steps to unlock bootloader of your Xiaomi Redmi 5A
- Enable Developer mode, to do that
- Go to Settings > About Phone > MIUI Version.
- Tap MIUI Version until you get the message “You’re now a developer!”
- Enable USB Debugging Options and OEM unlocking.
- Go to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer option.
- Enable the OEM Unlocking & USB Debugging options.
- Bind your Mi Account in the Mi Unlock Status, to do so
- Go to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer option > Mi Unlock Status.
- Click the Mi Unlock Status option, you’ll see an option to add your Mi Account and device. Login with the Mi Account which you used when you requested for unlocking.
- Extract the Mi Unlock app on your PC.
- Reboot your device into fastboot mode. To boot into fastboot
- Turn off your Redmi 5A.
- Press the Power button and Volume down button simultaneously.
- This will boot up your phone in fastboot mode.
- Open MiFlash Unlock tool on your PC and click on the “Agree button” when asked.
- Login to MiFlash Unlock tool with the Mi Account on your device and connect your phone to your Computer system using the USB cable. Don’t connect your device before logging in.
- Unlock button on the screen will be active once your device is connected to the tool. Click on the Unlock button to start the process. This process will take 10 – 15 seconds to finish.
That’s it, You’ve successfully unlocked the bootloader. To confirm, You shall check your PC. There will be a screen saying “Unlocked Successfully.” If you are stuck at 50% of the unlocking progress bar during the process, check if you used the correct Mi account for the process.
Unlocked the Bootloader? What next?
Own a different Xiaomi device? Read our guide to unlocking bootloader of any Xiaomi device.
We’ve tried to make the steps as easier as possible. If you are doing this for the first time then you might get stuck. You shall make a comment with the issue(s) you are facing and an Android expert will get in touch with you.