How to Unlock Bootloader of Xiaomi Devices?
Xiaomi is one of the fastest growing smartphone company in the world. The Mi and Redmi Series smartphones are selling like hot cakes in the market and the demand for these devices is way too high. Xiaomi understood the need of better smartphones in the mid-price range and now it is ruling in this segment.
No matter which device you are using, rooting the phone will always remain an exciting thing. Everyone wants to expand the capacity of their device and try new things. This is the reason you will need to Unlock the Bootloader for your Xiaomi device. Here is the small guide to unlock the bootloader of any Xiaomi Device.
- An active Mi account.
- Make sure your Xiaomi Device is running on MIUI China Developer Version 6.1.12 or latest.
- Backup the entire data.
- PC with Good Internet Connection, USB Cable, and your Xiaomi Device.
Step 1: Unlock Permission
Yes, you read that right. You will first have to take Permission from Xiaomi to unlock the bootloader.
- Go to Xiaomi’s Official Website and click on Unlock Now Button.
- You will be greeted by a Login Page. Enter your details and proceed. (Use Google Translator to Convert the text from Chinese to English).
- Now, you will see a form where you need to fill few minor details and reason for Unlocking the Bootloader. Do read all the risks involved in Unlocking the Bootloader mentioned on the right side of the page. Once the form is filled, click on Apply Immediately button.
- Now, you will need to enter the verification code received on your phone via SMS. It would be a six-digit code. Do not click on resend button again and again or else you will be blocked. It may take a while to get the code but you will get it.
- Once you have entered the code, you will see the message that your request has been received. Once your request is approved, you will get an SMS. It can take up to 21 days for approval of your request. So, be patient and wait for the SMS.
Step 2: Unlocking the Bootloader
Disclaimer: Unlocking the bootloader will void the Warranty of your Xiaomi Device so follow this guide on your own risks.
Make sure you have received the SMS of approval of your unlocking request. You will have 30 days to unlock the device from the day of receiving of the SMS. You can unlock only one device from one MI account. Once you have the approval SMS, follow the below steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone > MIUI Version. Keep tapping MIUI Version until you get the message “You’re now a developer!”
- Now, again go to Settings > Additional Settings >Developers Option and add you Mi account. Enable the OEM Unlocking & USB Debugging options.
- Switch off the Xiaomi Device and reboot in bootloader mode. Press the Power Button and Volume Up button to restart the phone in bootloader mode.
- Download Mi Flash Unlock Tool on your PC and Log in with the MI account for which you got the unlocking permission. This tool contains all necessary Drivers which are needed for the unlocking process. Install the Tool and agree to the terms and conditions before going ahead.
- The Flash Tool will indicate you to connect your phone with the PC to unlock the bootloader. Connect your phone via USB and you will see the unlock button is active now.
- Click on Unlock Button and your bootloader will be unlocked in 15-20 seconds.
You have successfully unlocked Bootloader of your Xiaomi Device and you are ready to experiment with your phone. Unlocked the Bootloader? What next? You can install TWRP recovery on your Xiaomi phone and root it.